Thursday, May 23, 2013

How to Study the Bible

I took a workshop on how to study the Bible at our church, Victory Fort. and today, we talked about guidelines when studying. We talked about context and how we sometimes take some verses out of context. Here's one:

Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.” (Luke 6:38 NIV)


We usually take this verse to talk about tithing and generosity. But if we look at the verse before that,

“Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven. Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.” (Luke 6:37, 38 NIV)


We can see that this verse actually talks about forgiveness and not giving money. How apt when taken in context to my life right now. Lord, soften my heart. Teach it to forgive. I want to give forgiveness freely, just as You would have me.

Ah, Lord. I feel so at peace when studying Your Word. But I need to go back into the world. I need to go back to where the fire demon in my heart is strong, and I am weak against it. Be with me, my God. And help me forgive. Help me forgive.

No comments:

Post a Comment