Wednesday, October 17, 2012

When we are persecuted, we endure it


"For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways,"
declares the Lord. "As the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts. (Isaiah 55:8, 9 NIV)
I was angry. So angry. I was frustrated, even with my God, because I couldn't understand what He wanted from me, why He would put me through this over and over. I felt stagnant and stuck. I wanted to break free but I didn't know how. I wanted to expand my circles but I felt stuck with the cares of work.

But then I realized something. If, indeed, I had acknowledged Christ as Lord, then I follow Him wherever He wants to take me. If your King takes you to battle, you follow. If He takes you to the swamps to go hunting, you follow. If He takes you to the edge of a cliff over and over and over, you follow anyway because He's your King. And you have pledged allegiance to your King. You have given your oath to follow him. So follow him, you should.

The most difficult things to follow are His instructions to not worry. Agh. This is a humility issue. It's so hard, but, O God, give me the strength.

We work hard with our own hands. When we are cursed, we bless; when we are persecuted, we endure it; (1 Corinthians 4:12 NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment