Sunday, June 10, 2012

Raise the Banner

Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity. (1 Timothy 4:12 NIV)

This verse came out twice today. Once in church (it was this Sunday's preaching), and another during my evening quiet time. Lord, this must be something You wish me to take to heart. I know You already told me something like this not so long ago. You said:

Go through, go through the gates; prepare ye the way of the people; cast up, cast up the highway; gather up the stones; lift up a standard for the people. (Isaiah 62:10)

Go, You said. Prepare the way. Prepare for battle. And lift up a standard, a flag, a symbol for the people. Set an example, You said. Lord, I want to. Know my heart, Lord. I want to do what You want me to. So, Lord, I submit myself to You. Train my tongue, Lord, my wayward tongue. Let roses and diamonds come out of my mouth instead of snakes, frogs and sharp things. Teach me to speak encouragement. Teach me to speak life. Teach me to behave as You would have a child of Yours behave. I am a brat, Lord. But I don't want to remain that way. Teach me to conduct myself in love, in faith, and in life. Love. Fill my heart with love. Enough of the bitterness. Enough of the feeling of being deceived. Erase those, Lord. And fill me with love, that the meditations of my heart and the words that come out of my mouth will be pleasing to You, my Lord and my God. Strengthen my faith, Lord. I know my constant worrying is a sign of my lack of faith. If I still haven't learned this all this time, Lord, forgive me. But I am making a conscious decision now to trust in You. Teach my heart to follow and to let go of my doubts. The doubts are unfounded. You've always saved me. Why would I be anxious? I have no answer to that, Lord. And purity. I know You don't just mean sexual purity. For even if I don't have any lustful thoughts at the moment, I know my thoughts are far from pure. They are tainted with bitterness, anger, and a bit of fear. Lord, free me from the shackles I myself have been putting on. And teach me to stand, to raise up that standard, and set an example.

Oh and, Lord, thank You for still calling me young.

No comments:

Post a Comment