Sunday, July 15, 2012

Today, a Fortified City

Today I have made you a fortified city, an iron pillar and a bronze wall to stand against the whole land—against the kings of Judah, its officials, its priests and the people of the land. (Jeremiah 1:18 NIV)

First, it was all about community. And I realized that I really haven't been involving my community in a lot of things I did. The tables arrived on Saturday. Some of my people came and helped me. But we started late and we were tired. We only finished assembling 2 tables. That night, I told my mother that I was going to the office the next day to continue building. And she said, "Alone? Are you out of your mind?" or something to that effect. The statement irked me. But later, upon reflection, it irked me because it implied she thought I couldn't do it myself. Pride. Long story short, I relented. That afternoon, my family and my manager and friend, Martin, came and helped build the tables. All thirteen were finished that afternoon. Behold, the power of community.

Alright, so I learned my lesson. You don't build an empire on your own. You do it with the power of God, the support of your friends, and the decision to trudge on. After the tables were completed, I felt a double-shot of achievement. One for the fact that we finished them. And the other for learning the lesson. Then just before I went to bed, this is what my God tells me. "Today, I have made you a fortified city." And I have a feeling it's not the walls He's referring to to protect me.

No comments:

Post a Comment