Monday, August 13, 2012

Open your eyes. Do the possible.

Sunday morning, I prayed. I was generally okay, but there were patches of darkness I had brought before my God. I asked for forgiveness. I asked for help. I asked. I told Him how I felt and what my concerns were. I was looking for something I still couldn't find. "... Or are my eyes closed, Lord?" I asked. "Open my eyes if [what I seek] is nearby. If not, then please bring [what I seek] to me. Or me to [what I seek]. Lord, please, do not forget me. Speak to me, Lord. I need You."

And I went to church. The preaching for the week was 'Prayer.' But to my surprise, the Pastor talked about eyes opening. That God opens eyes, and God closes eyes. That He opened the eyes of Elisha's servant so that he could see that there are more for us than there are against us.

Now that I think about it, I don't remember what the connection between eyes and prayer was in the preaching. I'll have to listen to it again via podcast once that comes out. But it just surprised me that from my prayer that morning, to the songs, to the preaching, it was all about opening eyes.

What am I not seeing? Who am I not seeing? What should I be seeing? My God has a tendency to answer me in one aspect of life when my question is for another. So in this case, Lord, what are we talking about? Lord, is what I seek nearby? Or is what is nearby something I should be seeking? I am listening, Lord. Speak. And open my eyes, Lord. What do You want me to see?

And so the Pastor continued with the preaching on Prayer. And that prayer without works is like rowing with one hand. It will only bring you around in circles. One should pray. Then act, having faith that God hears one's prayer. How do you expect to find a job when you're not even applying? Or how do you expect to get rich if you're not even making an effort to save anything? We often expect supernatural things from God but we forget that the world was created by Him, too. Why wouldn't He use what He's already created. Look around, the Pastor said. God may have already given you what you need. God only expects you to do what is possible. You leave the impossible to God.

After the service, I bought a devotional because I had already finished the ones I had. Then I went to Starbucks in Fully Booked to enjoy a little bit of solitude. Prayed some more. Tried to make sense of my thoughts. Then I went home.

Then when I opened the new devotional I bought, the first entry said, "My job is to take care of the possible and trust God with the impossible."

I do not believe in coincidences.

No comments:

Post a Comment